Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

my first chair re-do!

A few months ago I popped into a Goodwill on a whim. I came home with this chair for $14.99.  I kept picturing all of the beautiful posts by Kate of Centsational Girl, especially this one ... Now that I think about it, the price seems kind of high, but oh well.

It sat on my back patio for quite a while. I live in Arizona, the land of no basements, and teeny, tiny garages!!! I removed the seat cushion, because it smelled like "cigarettes and old lady", a quote by my 14 y/o daughter! I used TSP to clean it, and there it sat, for another a few weeks. So I finally cleaned it again, and sanded it. Used some spray primer, and then used Rustoleum's Heirloom White spray paint. Once it dried, I took some sandpaper to it, and distressed it a little. I tried to use Distress Ink on the places I had sanded, but it was difficult to get it just on the sanded areas. I figured out from this post  of House of Smith's that I don't need to sand, just use the ink pad to give the look of wood. I think I am going to try this on the sewing machine cabinet I painted. I will post that project soon. 

So I looked through my stash of fabric, I was originally going to use a gold and cranberry chenille damask I had found at Goodwill for a few dollars the same day I found the chair. But I have decided to change the colors in my office, and this fabric will no longer match. So, I went to Joanne's, and found the beautiful striped fabric on the clearance table marked at $6/yard, and there was a 50% off sale, so I bought 2 yards for $6!!! I'm thinking about going back and buying a few yards more to tack to the back of my book case. Hopefully it will still be there!

So here is the finished product. This is only the 3rd piece of furniture I've painted. I can see that I'm getting better with each piece. Thanks so much for stopping by my tiny little blog. I so enjoy blog surfing every day, and you all inspire me so much. 

~natalie

~be the change you wish to see in the world~ Gandhi



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! What an awesome job! What cha working on now?

    ReplyDelete